Mr Pritchard qualified in 1992 from King’s College Hospital, London. Following his basic surgical training, he spent a short time in Australia developing his skills in orthopaedic trauma surgery. He completed his Specialist Orthopaedic Training in Wales before undertaking a Fellowship in Shoulder Surgery at the Cape Shoulder Institute, Cape Town under the Mentorship of the world-renowned surgeon Dr Jo de Beer. During his time with Dr de Beer he was involved with developing new surgical techniques in particular the “Congruent Arc Technique” for instability of the shoulder.
Mr Pritchard has been a Consultant in Swansea since 2004. Since his appointment he has held the post of Orthopaedic Clinical Lead and is currently the Head of the Swansea Shoulder and Elbow Unit.
Mr Pritchard has continued to subspecialize in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, and offers a tertiary referral service for complex shoulder and elbow problems, in particular revision surgery.
Together with his anaesthetic colleagues Mr Pritchard has driven the application of Day Case Surgery and now offers Day Case Surgery in not only arthroscopic (key-hole) surgery but open surgery including arthroplasty (joint replacement) if clinically appropriate.
Mr Pritchard’s interests cover all shoulder and elbow ailments, including undiagnosed chronic shoulder pain. He performs all types of shoulder and elbow procedures and is regularly involved with national projects in developing techniques. A list of operations currently offered is shown below (this is not extensive and Mr Pritchard would be happy to discuss other options on an individual basis).
- Joint replacement (arthroplasty)
- Bone preserving, anatomical and reverse replacements.
- Day Case Shoulder Replacement
- Revision joint replacement
- Open Surgery
- Bony stabilisation surgery (Latarjet)
- Clavicle, humeral and shoulder fracture surgery
- Fracture Non-union surgery
- Rotator Cuff Patches
- Arthroscopic surgery (Keyhole)
- Stabilisation surgery (labral repair)
- Rotator cuff repair
- Revision rotator cuff repair
- Capsular release for stiff or Frozen Shoulder
- Calcific tendonitis treatment (calcium removal)
- Acromioclavicular joint Surgery
- Biceps surgery
- Supra-scapular nerve release
- Procedures for the irreparable (non-reparable) Rotator Cuff Tear: InSpace Balloon, Patch Repair, Superior Capsular Reconstruction, Bursal Arthroscopic Resurfacing
- Total Elbow Replacement
- Radial Head Replacement
- Elbow Arthrolysis (release for stiff elbows)
- Tennis and Golfer’s Elbow surgery (including Radio-Frequency)
- Ulnar and Radial Nerve Decompression/Release
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Olecranon Bursal Surgery
Other professional interests
Mr Pritchard has a passion for teaching and holds posts on various faculties such as:
The Watanabe Club, Arthrex Teaching Faculty, Synthes Meet the Expert, Stryker Trauma and Extremities Faculty and, has recently been appointed to the Educational Committee of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS).
Mr Pritchard regularly teaches surgical techniques on both a national and international basis.
Location & Consultation Times
|BMI Werndale Hospital||Monday AM|
|HMT Sancta Maria Hospital||Monday PM|