Mr Huw Pullen qualified from Cardiff Medical School in 2000. He commenced his specialised orthopaedic training in 2004 on the All Wales Training Programme. During this time he undertook two fellowships.
His first fellowship was in the Perth Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Clinic in Australia. This fellowship specialised in all aspects of shoulder and knee surgery including joint replacement and arthroscopic/key hole joint reconstruction.
Second fellowship in the Swansea Shoulder and Elbow Unit concentrating on all aspects of shoulder and elbow surgery including upper limb fractures.
Mr Huw Pullen has been a Consultant in Newport since early 2011. He treats general trauma but has a special interest in Shoulder and Knee Surgery including Joint Replacement and Arthroscopic procedure.
Evidence based assessment and treatment (using the latest advanced techniques) of all conditions related to the shoulder as well as knee cartilage operations and replacements.
- Joint replacement
- Rotator cuff surgery, subacromial bursitis, calcific tendonitis, frozen shoulder, shoulder dislocations, acromioclavicular disruptions/arthritis, shoulder and clavicle fractures
- Key hole joint reconstruction
- Arthroscopic/key hole surgery
- Shoulder and clavicle fractures
- Joint replacement, partial and total
- Bespoke joint replacement
- Arthroscopic cartilage operations
MBBCH University of Wales 2000
MRCS Ed Royal College of Surgeons edinburgh 2003
FRCS Tr +O Royal College of Surgeons 2009
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Shoulder and Elbow Society
Current NHS posts
- Clinical Director Trauma and Orthopaedic Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
- Royal College of Surgeons Surgical Tutor
- Consultant Surgeon
Outside of work, Huw’s main interests are spending time with his family and endurance sport. Mr Huw Pullen is married with two children. His sporting interests now centre around endurance multipart events such as ironman, mountain running and swim run.